Thursday, January 21, 2010

Robie's Story of ED



> I appreciate the kind words, Bob. A lot going on this weekend, will fill > you in on the news with Dr. Eid soon as I get a chance!...

I made my first visit with Dr. Eid (NYC) last Thursday, Jan. 14th, about a week ago.I lucked out with parking on the upper east side. My appointment was 4pm, and I got a free parking spot on E. 71st St. between Lexington & Park Ave. around 3pm. A lot of people seem to leave the area around that time, so it's a good opportunity to find alternate side parking in that
otherwise crowded neighborhood. When I showed up at Eid's office on East 69th St., I noticed it was right next door to the Italian Consulate, and two doors down from the Counsel on Foreign relations building (just off Park Ave.). Inside the waiting room were a number of scraggly old folk who looked almost homesless. These were the Medicare patients who have the procedure covered through government benefits. I waited my turn and saw Dr. Eid. He said his good reputation has a lot to do with the teams he works with at the hospitals. He showed me various pumps from a plastic box
on the table, and allowed me to try out handling the valve releases and squeezing actions. Doc also showed me some photos on his laptop. Nurse took my blood pressure, said it was good. Then we went into an examination room and he looked at my penis. He told me I had Peyronie's disease from lack of blood flow. With permission from the insurance company, we managed to squeeze the first test in with the initial consultation. This involved injecting my penis with medicine to induce erection. Then he scanned my penis with a Doppler ultrasound to examine the blood vessels before and after dilation. My penis got bigger but did not get erect. It had been
five years since my last erection, due to Type II diabetes. This test indicated that implantation is my only treatment available (pills & injections don't work); showed what size my penis would be after operation; and proved medical necessity for the insurance company. Doc told me he used to do kidney transplants but they became boring to him; he enjoys the unique creative challenge each penile implant gives him -- for every procedure is slightly different. He also enjoys helping men restore
their sexual function for a more fulfilling lifestyle. I paid the $285 consult fee out of pocket, which I get back from insurance company in a few weeks. The other test was billed direct to the insurance. I have to go back on Feb. 16th for a bladder test, which involves catheterization. Then cystoscopy & pre-op visit on the 25th of Feb., at which time my $2K down payment is due, to cover the 20% out-of-network portion for the surgery. After insurance pays him, the $2K is waived and returned to me, I have that in writing. Surgery is scheduled for March 3rd, at Lenox Hosp. There is a $145 deductible, which comes out of my $2K refund. They tell me I'll
leave with a catheter as outpatient, and I must remove the catheter myself
the next morning. Hopefully will be good to recover by early April. I also need to see my primary on or after Feb. 3rd, for clearance forms, EKG, andblood tests. I found Dr. Eid's office to be very easy to work with. It's a tough subject, and I'm doing this alone because my wife left me last November for a man she works with, took my daughter. So after the operation, I'll have to find a new partner with which to try out my new equipment. Wish me luck everyone...

You can use this for the blog, Bob...

--R

1 comment:

  1. What happebed with dr eid? Did you get your implant?

    ReplyDelete