Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Followup by Dan in Baltimore

Hi Bob -

A while ago you had my implant story posted but apparently have removed it. I just wanted to provide a cautionary note about putting off surgery for those who may be wavering. I needed an implant for over 10 years but kept putting it off while trying other solutions without success (pills, injections, vacuum). Finally, in June 2008, I had the surgery - it was a total success by any measure.

However, it is now almost June 2010 and we have, in two years, made use of the implant exactly twice, and with limited success even though the device functions perfectly. The problem is mostly mine - I often think about intimacy and still miss it greatly, but unfortunately I seldom feel well enough to act on those thoughts. I am on a variety of medications following a stroke several years ago and, while they keep me alive, they make me feel lousy most of the time; when you don't feel well sex is low on your list of priorities. I have lost count of the physicians I have consulted about this, but none of them have been able to propose any remedial course of action I could undertake.

My advice to anybody contemplating surgery is to go ahead and do it if you need it. If you put it off you may needlessly miss out on years of pleasure.

Best to you, and thanks for the blog. Nothing can substitute for the first hand experience of implant recipients.

Dan in Baltimore

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    Your post about your medication effects on your libido is a problem that I share. I have ALS, and take a truck load of meds daily. One suggestion: have you had your testosterone level checked? I did, found I was very low for my age (55) and have been getting weekly testosterone injections. It has made a HUGE difference in my libido, as well as helping me to get my $$ worth from the implant.

    Please consider talking to your urologist about a testosterone level. It might restore that level of intimacy that you are missing.

    Best wishes,
    Gramps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gramps. Last time I had my T checked it was normal - this was a couple of years ago. Might be worth another look, though.

    ReplyDelete