Monday, May 14, 2007

Surgery Date set for penile implant






My Uro called and I go in on Wed May 23rd to go over things with my Uro and meet with Anesthesia. Also need to pick up scrips for antibiotics. Then I have to wait for May 29th for surgery. I've done a ton of research both on the internet and since I work at a University Hospital with a rather large medical library, I've been able to access several significant periodicals that I could not access off of the web. I was having to choose between the Ambicor 2 piece and the Ultrex three piece devices. The Ambicor is not old technology, but a very reliable choice in implants. A large study in the January 2007 issue of the Journal of Urology show that it has the highest satisfaction of all the implants out there both from the patient and partner point of view. Out of a 101 patients from 3 months to over 10 years, 97% of the patients were still using the implant. 1 implant was removed for revision due to pain from incorrect measurement. One implant was removed for infection and one was removed for mechanical breakdown. With a mean period of 38 months. If I were having really poor control of my diabetes, the Ambicor would have been my first choice in an implant because of risk from infection. Because I have excellent control of my Type 1 diabetes over a 22 year period, I'm going to go with the AMS 700 Ultrex implant because of the expansion of the device which has the potential of increasing girth and length. My girth according to my spouse doesn't need expansion as she is satisfied with the fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment