Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My Thoughts on loss of penile length





Helloe Readers:
I'm 2 weeks post op and doing really well. What I would like to talk about is the loss of length following a prostatectomy and implant surgery. Most responders who have discussed this subject lament about loosing one to two inches in length due to a prostatectomy. Drawing upon 17 years of working in pathology and examining prostate tissue from (BPH) Benign Prostatic Hypertropy to complete resection of a whole prostate gland, I've looked at several thousand specimens coming straight from surgery. To get an accurate picture of the size of the prostate gland, its about the size of an extra large chicken egg. Traversing through the middle of the prostate is the ureter which transports urine from the bladder and sperm from the testicles and out through the penis. When the surgeon removes the prostate gland, the actual area of the ureter that traverses through the prostate is lost. The surgeon has to attach the remaining ureter to the remaining ureter which shortens up the available length of the penis to expand and become erect. What is missing in this equation is why has some enterprising medical implant company not come up with a way to replace the lost ureter portion of the prostate that is lost? I meet with my urologist on Thursday and I believe I may ask him that very question. If I receive a decent answer on why, I'll share it with you.
One of the contributors to Yahoo's Penile Implant Group posted a very good link of Drs Francois Eid and Paul Perito describing their implant procedures. They filmed actual surgeries that they performed and they narrate their particular procedures. This webzine takes a little over an hour to watch, but is well worth watching. It can be reached by double clicking on the follow URL or by copying the whole address into your web browser:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3849174671169413222&q=coloplast+video%27

Another reason men loose a little length is the fact that the glans penis, or the head of the penis does not become engorged and erect with the implant. Having that portion of the penis become engorged adds a quarter to a half inch to length. The implant looses that portion of a normal erection. Another reason for loss of length is due to scarring within the corpora cavernosa. This can be due to Peyronies desease. Injections of Tri-mix, Bi-mix, caverject or any other vasoactive drugs also causes scarring (fibrosis) the medical term, inside of the corpora. The corpora cavernosa are the two long tunnels of spongy tissue that fills with blood during an erection and as they expand, they add rigidity and length to the erect penis. When that spongy tissue becomes damaged, it is replaced with scar tissue. Fibrotic scar tissue doesn't stretch and what is often the case is that it contracts the tissue surrounding it. This contracture causes a loss in the length of an erection. I have used injections of Bi-mix regularly over a 13 to 14 year period. Having palpated scar tissue in surgically removed specimens over the years I knew what to look for. Within the past year leading up to my implant surgery, I discovered the scarring that was occurring within my own penis. The longer you wait, the worse it gets. You do want to get an implant sooner before this mostly irreversible damage occurrs. If you are a man using injections, you should annually ask your doctor to check for fibrosis. Have him check your prostate and do a PSA test at the same time. Another test after age 50 to have annually is a fecal ocult test. It looks for blood in the stool and can catch colon cancer in the early stage. Very important to catch that cancer early as early equals life. Late equals you not being around next year. I have ED causes by long term juvenile diabetes. I have not had my prostate removed at present time. My expectations are to loose approximently a half inch off of my erection. In 4 more weeks, I'll know for sure. Coming out of surgery, my surgeon left my implant semi-erect, but there was approximately four and a half inches minimum there. I will probably drop from 5 1/2 inches to 5 inches in length. That is a realistic expectation. I had a 5 1/2 inch circumference previously for the girth of the shaft. Even an erection of 4 to 5 inches in length is plenty to satisfy a women, especially when you realize that you will always be able to get hard anytime you want, for as long as you want. Love making will become a nice, long, and easy time with no performance issues. Ladies, he not going to loose his erection before you have your orgasm. There's no rush anymore, so both can enjoy a longer foreplay. No longer having to go take a pill or a shot to break the mood. Now it takes seconds for him to become ready. I was a teenager when I last got ready that fast. And if you like staying coupled all night long, or several hours at least. It's not going to hurt him any to stay erect. Both my wife and I liked that best about the shots. The ability to stay connected together after we finished our love making. Just that close cuddleing and close connection. You know you like it, so why not?
Bob

3 comments:

  1. Thank You Bob for your continued postings of your progress. It really is helping me.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXCELLENTE VIDEO. IM EXPECTING MY SURGERY ON OCT 29, 2007... THANKS FOR ALL THE INFORMETION

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so muich for this information! I developed Peyronie's Disease and major orgasmic sensation loss after three prostate operations (TURPS). I am looking at options IF I do need to do this eventually...THe hour video was excellent. I had seen Dr. EId before butNOT Dr. Perito and I was most impressed by his technique ane SPEED Thanks again from Alabama!

    ReplyDelete